Over the years, there has been cutthroat competition in the job market, and staying ahead of your peers gives you an edge to getting a high-paying job.
Courses from Online Learning Platforms allow you to build a specific skill set within a short period quickly. If you want to stay relevant in the job industry, it is essential to upskill quickly and apply the skills to your job.
It’s the current way to stay relevant in the job market. When employees are suddenly made redundant, those who can quickly pivot their skills with the help of short-term courses are the ones who can move on and find success.
Whether you’re a job seeker or an employee, online learning platforms are the way to advance in the current competitive job market. Keep your resume updated with your enhanced skillsets gained through every course that you complete.
This article will review the best online learning platforms to help you get a job.
What Are The Best Short-Term Career Courses to Get a Job?
The best online learning platforms you can choose are Job Ready Programmer, Data Camp, Code Academy, Eskills Academy, and edX.
The courses will help you diversify your skillsets and land chances for high-paying jobs and careers.
Short-term courses will help you increase your network connections, broaden your outreach and build varying skills, ultimately resulting in more job opportunities by being more valuable to employers.
Best courses to become a professional programmer, plus Job placement.
With the world fastly moving into everything digital, programming is a lucrative and highly paid career with businesses looking for skilled programmers.
JobReadyProgrammer is a subscription-based program that provides software and programming training to its subscribers.
Learning programming is difficult just by reading books, and you may lack confidence when it’s time to execute or implement.
JobReadyProgrammer gives you practical experience by making you complete assigned projects. You must do actual projects to gain the necessary confidence and be job-market-ready.
- You can become a job-ready Software developer or Data analyst and learn by implementing real-world practical projects.
- It has good step-by-step video tutorials created by experts, and you can complete the course at your own pace.
- It’s an easy-to-use learning program, so no previous technical knowledge is required.
- Also, lifetime members get help with job placements. After completing the course, you have to sit for two 1-hour exams and pass with a 75% score, and they will help you with job placements through their vast network of recruiters.
JobReadyProgrammer pricing has two options to choose from:
- The first one is a Monthly/Yearly Subscription based program where subscribers get software and programming training for the subscription period.
- The second plan is Lifetime Access, where you have lifetime access to the courses plus Job placement support with their vast network of recruiters.
Jobreadyprogrammer is best suited for job seekers who want to update their skillsets quickly and to be job ready in a fast-changing job market.
The courses and practical projects implemented would enhance skillsets and boost confidence.
It allows anyone to learn and adapt quickly and be a confident software programmer, with the added benefit of job placements within their vast network of recruiters.
Best online skill-building program for Data Scientists to build data-driven skills for the future.
Datacamp specializes in teaching Data Analytics. They have a wide range of courses and career paths in data analysis and application that take learners from zero to master quickly.
The primary career paths are Technology, Career Path, and Skill Path
- Technology – Python, R & SQL programming courses with interactive exercises to practice and apply your skills.
- Career Path – A bundled collection of courses to be an expert Data Analyst, Data Engineer or Data Scientist.
- Skill Path – Learn specific skills such as Machine Learning, Data Visualisation, Deep Learning, etc.
- Datacamp has 50+ curated learning paths, 380+ interactive courses, and 100+ real-life projects that help the learner progress from an absolute beginner to an expert in solving real-world problems.
- It’s a reliable platform – 80% of Fortune 1000 companies use Datacamp to train and upskill their employees.
- Their certification programs are industry recognized and come with a premium plan. You can get certified as a Data Scientist or Data Analyst.
Datacamp has pricing plans for both Individual learners and Businesses.
For individual learners, there are two pricing plans – Free and Premium.
The free plan is restricted access to the first chapter and no certifications, and this is more for getting a feel of the platform.
The premium plan gives you full access, and you can choose a monthly or yearly subscription. With an annual subscription, you can save a few dollars.
This online course can help you quickly get certified as Data Scientist or Data Analyst and equip you with practical skills in Data Analytics.
Their certification programs are industry recognized, and you could take advantage of the vast skill gaps in the Data Analytics job industry.
3. Code Academy
It’s an ideal platform to get skilled in IT programming. A short-term course will equip you with the skills required in today’s highly digitized job world.
- Interactive Content and assignments – You can take any courses you like and practice and complete the interactive assignments in your own time.
- Build your Project Portfolio – You can build a portfolio of projects that can be shown as real-world project experience to recruiters.
- Resources – They have helpful resources like Interview Challenges, Cheatsheets, and Projects that can prepare you for coding interviews.
Code Academy has pricing plans for Individuals, Students, and Businesses.
- Individual Plan– Has three options: Basic (free membership), ProLite (paid), and Pro (paid). Paid membership has monthly and annual subscription offers.
- Student Plan- To qualify for student membership, you should be a higher-education institution student.
- Business Plan– Has two options: Teams and Enterprise. Teams is a basic business plan for 5-25 member teams, and Enterprise is advanced for 25+ member teams.
The pricing plans for Code Academy can be found here.
Best short courses and professional certifications to accelerate your career, mainly in the Cyber Security domain.
With the increased digitization of businesses, cybercrime is growing at an alarming rate costing businesses billions of dollars annually. Companies are finding it challenging to get cyber security talents expanding the demand for such professionals.
Eskills Academy provides excellent short-term courses to shift your career to the Cyber Security domain and take advantage of the skills gap in the job market.
The demand for cyber security professionals is increasing yearly, becoming highly sought-after and highly paid professionals.
Eskills is a great online learning portal that can quickly help you become a cybersecurity professional.
- The Cyber Security courses are award-winning, and you can quickly learn at your own pace.
- They have popular bundled courses on Cyber Security and Ethical Hacking, and it takes you from a complete beginner to an advanced cybersecurity professional.
- You get lifetime access to the training materials.
- They also give you a certification that’s industry-recognized and help you pivot your career into cyber security.
Individual courses have individual Pricing. You can select the courses you want and buy.
They also offer high-value bundle packs with multiple courses at a reduced price. There are usually great offers available for grabs.
You can find the bundles and individual course pricing here.
If you plan to make a career switch to Cyber Security, use Eskills Academy’s specialized courses to increase your skills quickly.
If you are looking for formal courses, edX is a good platform.
edX provides traditional courses offered by their partners, which are top organizations and universities like Microsoft, MIT, Harvard, Berkeley, etc.
Every course in edX is taught by an expert instructor from their top partner institutions. I have found the course content pretty good because it includes videos, articles, forums, assignments, quizzes, and exams.
Their course offerings are not just limited to computer science; they offer courses in other streams like Language, Data Science, Business and Management, Engineering, and Humanities.
- 3000+ online courses and 300+ programs – You can select from a wide range of courses and programs across diverse streams and are not just limited to computer science.
- Verified Certificates – Apart from the short-term course certificates you can attach to your CV and Linkedin, they also offer full-fledged professional and master’s degree courses.
- Free courses – If you want to learn and accumulate knowledge and are not worried about getting a certificate, it’s the best option. edX courses can be accessed for free, but you won’t get a certificate.
Individual courses range from a few hundred dollars to thousands, depending on the course content and skill sets.
They offer you the choice to access the course free without earning a certificate after course completion, but free access to the course has an expiry date.
If you need a certificate to attach to your resume or Linkedin, or if you may need access to the course even after the expiry date, you can upgrade to the paid version.
edX courses can be found here.
Which Short-term Course is Best for Job?
Whether you have recently graduated or are a seasoned employee, career courses provide excellent opportunities for entry into the fast-growing industries of the future.
The job market is changing, and more and more job seekers are switching to renewable energy jobs. With the rise of green initiatives, the need for qualified workers only increases.
Let’s have a look at the fastest-growing industries in the next decade. Position yourself with the right skills acquired through career courses to get these job opportunities.
- Information Technology – Reports from Statista show that total IT spending is projected to grow 5.1% in 2023 to 4.45 trillion as consumers and businesses embrace digitalization. The Bureau of Labor Statistics reports that IT is projected to grow at a faster-than-average rate of 13% from 2020 to 2030.
- Healthcare – Reports from the Bureau of Labor Statistics show that the Healthcare industry is projected to grow at an astounding rate of 16% from 2020 to 2030 due to the aging population and increasing demand for healthcare services.
- Web and Graphic Designers – The industry involving web developers and digital designers is projected to grow fast at 15% from 2020 to 2030.
Which Short-term Course pays Highest Salary?
When taking short-term courses, consider high-paying jobs in addition to the fastest-growing job industries of the future.
The best short-term courses for high-salary jobs are in Computers and Information Technology. In the IT industry, you can focus on a specific skill gap, take short-term courses and position yourself as an expert to grab that high-paying job.
Let’s take a look at the highest-paying job industries:
- Data Science – As per a study conducted by Burtch Works, the average salary of Data Scientists ranges from $95,500 to $165,000. And for managers, it ranges from $150,750 to $250,000.
- Machine Learning – Average base salary for a Machine Learning Engineer is $145,000.
- Artificial Intelligence – Average base salary for an Artificial Intelligence engineer ranges from $108,000 to $162,000.
- Business Analytics – The average base salary for a Business Analytics professional is $100,000.
Digitization skills are high-paying skills, and the number of job opportunities and market growth in this industry is projected to explode even more in the future.
In the world today, learning specific skillsets through Online Learning Platforms can help position you to cater to the increasing skills in the job market.
Skills that once used to earn you a living in the past are fast becoming redundant.
Identifying the future growth industries and skillsets and taking action to learn new digital skills quickly can make you an invaluable asset to the job market.